TAMPA, Fla. - Before the 2008 college football season kicked off, the 12 head football coaches from the state of Florida descended upon Tampa to provide an outlook on the upcoming season. On July 17 and 18, the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina played host to the 2008 Florida Sports Writers Association (FSWA) College Football Media Days, a media exclusive event that has been held in Tampa over the past three years.
The University of Florida’s Urban Meyer kicked off and impressive first day, which also featured Jim Leavitt from the University of South Florida, Randy Shannon from the University of Miami and George O’Leary from the University of Central Florida, among others. The associate commissioner of football operations with the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Michael Kelly made a special presentation to the media, focusing on the 2008 ACC Football Championship, which is coming to Raymond James Stadium on December 6th.
Charles Bloom, the associate commissioner of media relations
with the Southeastern Conference (SEC) got things going on day two
with a state of the SEC presentation. From there, the event heard
from notable coaches the likes of Bobby Bowden from Florida State
University, Kerwin Bell of Jacksonville University and Mario
Cristobal of Florida International University, among others.
“Over the past three years we have had the opportunity to showcase the Tampa Bay area to FSWA members and build upon our current relationships with Florida’s top head collegiate football coaches,” said Rob Higgins, executive director of the TBSC. “In partnering with Sun Sports and FSN Florida we strive to take this event to new heights and look forward to hosting in 2009.”
The 2008 FSWA College Football Media Days featured the following coaches:
- Urban Meyer, University of Florida
- Jim Leavitt, University of South Florida
- Randy Shannon, University of Miami
- Bobby Bowden, Florida State University
- George O’Leary, University of Central Florida
- Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic University
- Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville University
- Alvin Wyatt, Bethune Cookman University
- Kelly Scott, Webber International University
- Mario Cristobal, Florida International University
- Kevin Clark, Edward Waters College
- Joe Taylor, Florida A&M University